Friday, October 19, 2012

Book Reviews: The Good, The Bad and The Silly


Today I received a wonderful message from a reader saying how much she enjoyed reading The Royal Sheikh and earlier this week I received this great 5-star review for Her Latin Lover:

“Her Latin Lover was an exciting read. I love a good instant attraction, and this author gave me that with Mary and Paulo. Mary is a considerate and trusting woman who is taken advantage of by her boyfriend. Paulo swoops in and saves the day, as any sexy, honorable man would. Their attraction blossoms, until the unexpected happens. I was on the edge of my seat, the whole time. I wished the romance would have happened sooner, but all in all, it was great. I will definitely read more from this author. Pick this up, you will love it.”
This is the eighth 5-star review that the book has had so far on Amazon and I’m extremely grateful to the readers that have taken the time to write and post them. I think for any author there’s nothing better than hearing how much people enjoy your books! However, reviews are not always positive.

Unfortunately, sooner or later someone will read a book and decide that they don’t like it. This is almost inevitable as everyone has different tastes and opinions about things. If I get one of these reviews, I go and read the one and two-star reviews for my favourite books on Amazon and remember that not everyone has to love every book that is published.

Here are a few of my favourite 1-star reviews from Amazon that I thought I would share:

“I think I got about a quarter of the way through it and hoped it would get better. The story is hard to follow, too detailed about mundane things. The story line is so slow I just gave up. I enjoy historical romances and I figured a classic, right? Should be good. Nope, it was a waste of my time.” - Pride and Prejudice

“Boring, pointless story of a pathetic imbecile whose life seems to be not much more than a bizarre journey through an insane asylum.” - Great Expectations

“I just read this book. everybody like always talks about how great it is and everything. but I don't think so. like, it's been done before, right?? soooo cliched. omg.” - Romeo and Juliet

“I don't know what people see in this book. I found it irritating from the start -- all the characters are thoroughly unlikeable. After slogging my way through a quarter of the book, I found I still couldn't care less what happened to these people. The writing is also painfully verbose and florid. For a better story, I would have been willing to cope with it, but here it was just another reason to put the book down and never pick it up again.” - Wuthering Heights

“I really felt let down by this book. For once in my life i believe the movie adaptation was better than the book. I felt it was dull and boring. Thankfully I didn’t waste any money as it is free.” - Alice in Wonderland

“Sleepy. Not much plot. Bad use of vocabulary” - Harry Potter

Reading these bad reviews made me giggle. I hope they made you smile too!

2 comments:

  1. Great Post!
    This is great to keep in mind. A great way to not those reviews weigh you down. You bring up a great point. Everyone has different tastes, that's what makes the world go round. I love the Harry Potter comment, had to laugh out loud at that one. Thanks for posting.

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul! The Harry Potter review is great for its succinctness!

      Delete