Wednesday, August 31, 2011

An interview with author, Christy English

I am thrilled to be interviewing historical romance writer, Christy English, author of ‘The Queen’s Pawn’ and ‘To Be Queen’.

First of all Christy, can I ask how you become an author?
I have been a writer all my life, but about ten years ago it occurred to me that some people actually sell what they write. So I began working on becoming a better writer so that I could be one of them.
I went to writing classes and writers' conferences, and I learned a lot from each of them, but ultimately it comes down to me, my computer and sitting down to work. The only way to become a better writer is to keep writing. And keep reading...other writers are our best teachers.

You have written two acclaimed novels about Eleanor of Aquitaine, 'The Queen’s Pawn' and 'To Be Queen'. What first drew you to Eleanor?

I met Eleanor of Aquitaine when I was writing about her son, Richard the Lionhearted and Princess Alais during the first version of THE QUEEN'S PAWN. In the original conception, Eleanor was not a lead character but as I continued to work with the book and revise it, Eleanor just slowly took over. And I am so glad she did. I am completely fascinated by her. What an amazing woman.

What do you admire most about her?


The most impressive thing about Eleanor is her courage and tenacity. No matter what adversity she is faced with, and she faces a lot of pain in her very long life, she never gives up. Always, Eleanor looks at the world as it is and faces what she sees without flinching. Then and only then does she decide how to act. She will wait decades for what she wants, so in the end, she often wins.

Is there anything about her that you don’t like?


No. I adore her. I know that she isn't perfect...it's hard for me to even say those words (laughs out loud) I know that she is a hard woman, but I love her for that hardness. She faces very difficult political realities, being a woman in the medieval period, and she deals with every obstacle in her path with grace and skill. I really admire her.

Some of the lines in your books are very memorable, such as 'Today was a day for witches and water' (Chapter 9, 'To be Queen'). Where do you get your inspiration from?


Eleanor is my inspiration. I tend to be a very flowery writer. My first novel, THE QUEEN'S PAWN is much more flowery in its imagery than TO BE QUEEN. Though I slipped in some imagery such as the phrase you mention, Eleanor kept me from becoming too colorful in my metaphors. And I think the book is better for it. Imagery is such a wonderful way of describing a place, of making people and places come to life.

I believe you are working on several projects at the moment. Could you tell us something about them?
I am writing a romance series for Sourcebooks Casablanca of re-tellings of Shakespearean comedies set in Regency England. I am having a blast. The first novel is a re-telling of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW titled simply THE TAMING. In my version, the couple gets married early on in the book and has to learn to live together as equals. Not an easy task.

What advice do you have for any aspiring authors?


Keep writing. No matter what anyone else tells you, no matter how discouraged you get, please stay in the chair. No one can tell your story but you. If you do not tell it, your story will be lost forever. So please persevere. Don't give up. We need your story. There can never be enough stories in the world...readers will always want more.

Katheryn thank you so much for letting me do this. I have had a ball!


Thank you very much Christy for taking the time to chat with me.  It’s been great hearing about you and your work. Please let us all know when ‘The Taming’ comes out.  I can’t wait to read it!

Christy’s novels are available at www.Amazon.com and www.Amazon.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment