Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Thrillers, Romance and the Paranormal: An interview with Mel Comley


As a romance author, I’m always thrilled to have the chance to talk with other romance writers, and today I’ve been lucky enough to get the chance to interview an author that I’ve long-admired, Mel Comley, who writes both thrillers and romance. First of all Mel, thank you for being here with me today.  Can I start by asking you how you become an author?

Thanks for asking me to join you, Katheryn. I’ve always loved writing either short stories or just penning a diary every day. The opportunity arose to become a full-time author when we moved to France back in 2002. It wasn’t possible to write before that as I used to work 70-80 hours a week as a Store Manager.


Living and writing in France certainly sounds more appealing! You first published the best-selling Lorne Simpkins thrillers.  Could you tell us something about them?

They’re gritty crime novels, two of which are based in London and the third is based in France. If you like Lynda la Plante novels with a touch of James Patterson’s pace thrown in you’ll like these.





I believe you have recently published two very successful romances, A Time to Heal and A Time For Change.  Why did you decide to move into romance?

I actually wrote my two romances about 8 years ago and recently re-edited them. I’ve tried to add a little suspense or mystery to the plot so my loyal thriller fans will still enjoy reading them. I’ve had positive reviews so far.




You have also published a paranormal story, High Spirits, which was based on a true experience.  Could you tell us a bit about it without giving too much away?

High Spirits is a true account of what happened when we  moved to France and started renovating our first house here. It’s a sad, spooky story which was a frightening ordeal to live through at the time.





Sounds scary! As well as the above books, you have also written several short stories this year.  How do you find time to write so much?

I write full-time, when I’m not trying to promote my books that is. Once you get into the swing of writing and you’re disciplined, it becomes an addiction. I used to suffer with writer’s block but not now, I put that down to writing every day, seven days a week. I’m serious about my career and find it fulfilling.


In addition to writing, as an indie author you must also have to spend time promoting your books.  Do you have any top tips that you can share with other indie authors?

No one wants to see you flaunt your wares on the forums etc. The best thing a writer can do is write and interact with readers on the various forums available.


You do you have any other advice for aspiring authors?

Never give up. Employ a GOOD editor. And finally, don’t think you’ll make it big overnight!


What are you working on at the moment?  Can we expect more thrillers, romance, paranormal, or all three?

I’m about a sixth of the way through Lorne Simpkins number 4. I have several new characters to create for this one for obvious reasons. ;-)


When you aren’t writing, what do you like to do in your free time (if you have any!)?

I haven’t got much spare time at the moment but when I have I like to potter in my garden. I have ¾ of an acre and usually win an award because it’s so pretty in the summer, alas this wasn’t the case this year.


A garden in France sounds idyllic, though I’m sorry you didn’t get an award this year. With Christmas coming up, what’s on your wish list?

Actually we’ve just treated ourselves to a T-Fal ActiFry so I can have proper chips without feeling guilty. As a writer I tend to spend most of the day at my desk so have to be careful about what I eat.





Where can we buy your books?

On Amazon here:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/mel-comley

On Smashwords for all other ereaders:
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Melcom

My blogs are:
http://melcomley.blogspot.com/

and


Thank you so much Mel for taking the time to tell us about yourself and your great books.  Have a wonderful Christmas in France! I’m off now to get myself a T-Fal ActiFry as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment