Monday, December 5, 2011

Vampires, Romance and New Orleans: An interview with author, Michelle Hughes

Today I’m very excited to be interviewing the author, Michelle Hughes. First of all Michelle, I can I ask you how you first became an author?

To be honest, I never planned to be an author. I had taken some Mass Communications classes in college but most of my writing was wrapped around writing lyrics. The Tears of Crimson story is actually a series of dreams that I've had since I was a young girl of fifteen and I just decided one day to get them out of my head and on to paper.


You recently published A Night at Tears of Crimson.  Could you tell us something about it?

Tears of Crimson is about a young woman that moves to New Orleans after the death of her grandmother looking to start a new life. She came to the city hoping to be discovered as a vocalist, but after months singing out in the Quarter she realized that her bills weren't being paid. She runs across the Tears of Crimson Nightclub and discovers it's a wanna-be vampire bar. Out of desperation she applies for a job there and is hired as a waitress. She's immediately attracted to the mysterious owner and the story revolves around the blooming of first love as she discovers the myths behind the vampire legends are real.

Your book is listed as being ‘Volume 1’, does that mean we can expect a sequel?

A Night at Tears of Crimson is the first book in the series. The second book is titled Eternal Crimson and will be released in June of 2012. I have taken on a co-author, Sarah Snyder with this second book because I felt she could really add to the project.


I understand that you have five children, how do you fit in writing as well?

I'm a full time mom first and a writer second. I was blessed to have a husband that encouraged me to stay home and fulfil my dream, even if he'd rather I was writing children’s books. As far as time management, seriously I just write whenever I find the time. I can definitely say there are some nights that I just don't sleep so I can have the quiet time when they are all sleeping to write.


When you are not writing, what do you like doing in your free time (if you have any!)?

When I'm not writing we enjoy taking our boat out on the river. It's one of the few things that all the kids can agree on. My children are spread out in ages from 4 - 21 so as you can imagine each of them has different ideas of what they consider entertainment. We live in a small rural community in Alabama and the natural resources offer many opportunities for exploration. Outside of boating we do a lot of fishing and four-wheeling. We have 40 acres of wooded land surrounding our home which means there's lots of room to enjoy nature.


What advice do you have for other authors?

I think the best advice that I can give authors is the understanding that writing the book may be the easiest part of the entire experience. My average day consists of 4-5 hours of promotion. Definitely build up your twitter and facebook followings and try to get to know the people you're talking with. I've long said that people want to buy books from a person they feel they have something in common with and not just someone pushing a product.


Where can we buy your book?

My book can be ordered at any mainstream bookstore, if it isn’t already on the shelf. You can also purchase it through the following sites:

Amazon

Barnes & Noble


Finally, do you have any parting comments that you would like to share with us?

I'd love to invite everyone to my Tears of Crimson site at www.tearsofcrimson.info, and the Tears of Crimson blog at www.tearsofcrimson.com.  We showcase entertainment there that would appear in the Tears of Crimson vampire nightclub and some great vampire related articles on the blog.

Thank you so much Michelle for taking the time to talk with me today.  I’m off now to check out those websites that you just mentioned!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Katheryn for a wonderful interview. I really enjoyed talking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michelle for taking the time to tell us about yourself and your great book! Can't wait for the sequel, Eternal Crimson, to come out. Keep us all posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete