Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eton Mess - a classic dessert

 
This afternoon I’m making that classic dessert Eton Mess (and ‘yes’ it is named after that school).  It’s a great summer dessert which is really easy.  It’s just pieces of meringue, cream and fresh strawberries, mixed together in individual dishes (plus a dash of port or kirsh if you want). 

At this minute I’m cooking the meringues – again very simple, but easy to get wrong (at least, easy for me to get wrong).  I whipped up 4 egg whites with a pinch of sea salt, added 200g of castor (fine) sugar, a tablespoon at time and whipped until glossy.  I then added a teaspoon of corn flour (I’m not too sure why this helps, but it was in a couple of the recipes that I looked at).  I whisked it in and then spooned the mixture out onto a tray covered in greaseproof paper. 

They’re now cooking for an hour in a cool oven.  However, it may not be cool enough as the meringues are starting to go brown.  Looks like it might be burnt meringue Eton Mess!  I think, next time I’ll buy the meringues and then it’ll be even easier to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment